Forging Die Steel is nickel hot work tool steel with good hardenability. uniform hardness over section also at great dimensions . Resistance under impact loadings. Very good strength and toughness. Good tempering resistance and dimensional stability. Tools can be water or air cooled.
- Forging tools, dies of all sorts, shapes and sizes, hot forging and pressing tools for steel and metal. Moulds, bushings, piercers etc.
- Blocks for dies, hammers and pile drivers, rams of power hammers, hot mill rolls, very hard, cold work dies and punches.
Physical properties (avarage values) at ambient temperature :
- Modulus of elasticity [103 x N/mm2]: 215
- Density [g/cm3]: 7.84
- Thermal conductivity [W/m.K]: 36.0
- Electric resistivity [Ohm mm2/m]: 0.30
- Specific heat capacity[J/g.K]: 0.46
- Hot forming temperature: 1050-850oC.
- Machinability : The machinability rating of D3 is roughly 25 % that of free machining carbon steel 1018. Due to its abrasion resistant nature, machining in the hardened condition should be limited to finish grinding.